14 May 2008

Good manners and my 'pet' sauce



It happened last Saturday when I lost grips to my good manners (it was at a family dinnertime and my parents were not very much impressed, really).

But My Dear Readers, I had a reason! I got so overwhelmed and excited that I simply couldn't help but licking my lips noisily, using my fingers stead of a fork or a spoon and 'ohh la'-ing after each bite I so joyously took. *Generally, I always abide by the etiquette rules. And yet, My Friends, there are occasions when it's simply not the case. Don't you think so?*

And I only hope I might be justified for such a wild mannerism of mine when I tell you this...

I made a Light Basil Dressing Cream.

Obviously, still not convinced, aren't you!? Oh..

Ok, then I'm gonna sound this out to you. It was the FIRST time ever I made a sauce that everybody at the table (7 people) was raving about when tasting and eating. Huh!

Moreover, it is the sauce I'll always make when fresh basil (its green variety) is in season. Yes, this is really very serious. Phew. If I can, I will even call it my pet sauce. Or saucie. Because only something as fresh and full of flavours could actually make a girl get a 'pet sauce' in her surroundings. Creamy and yet light and silky texture, strong but delicate basil flavour enriched with a citrus tang, refreshing taste of a perfect harmony between the sweet, salt and sour, and a long-lasting feeling of lightness, all this you are bound to experience - mannerly or otherwise. *smile*

*****Light Basil Cream*****

(recipe source: Gastronom magazine*, April 2008)


A big bunch of fresh green basil (only leaves)

250 g plain yoghurt

1 Tbs sugar

1 tsp sea salt

1 Tsp lemon juice

3 Tsp extra virgin olive oil

Method:

1. Put all the ingredients except for the olive oil in a food mill and blend until pureed.

2. Now set the blender over a low mode and start pouring the oil ever so gently into the pureed liquid.

3. Serve with grilled vegetables, cold potato or pasta salads or as a dip for vegetable sticks (although it is a bit runny for the latter) or whatever takes your fancy, for it is absolutely versatile. And for that matter, indubitably goooood!

4. This sauce tends to thicken when refrigerated, so make sure to bring it to room temperature before using.

*A russian counterpart of internationally renowned Bon Appetit and Gourmet.

P.S. Speaking of good manners...Even gorgeous birds of peace (pigeons) have those moments, too. *insert a smug face here*


7 comments:

Astra Libris said...

Anya, I think your sauce is the perfect reason to set aside one's manners! :-) Your sauce sounds completely joyful - you have truly captured the flavors of spring! I cannot wait to try out your recipe with the basil growing in my new herb garden! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

Unknown said...

Basil is such a tasty herb and your sauce is a great way to prepare it.

anya said...

Astra - Kudos to you for cultivating the herbs in your own garden!! Please, let me know how you like the sauce. ;)

Cookiemouse - basil is a wonderful herb indeed! However, I'm under the impression that green basil is much deeper and richer in flavour than its purplish counterpart. :) At least, I discovered I love it more!

Unknown said...

True. I like the green one best. Once I bought a different variety and was a bit disappointed with the taste.

Tiina said...

The sauce looks very appetizing! I think, I will have to try this recipe some time.

Greetings,
Tiina

Toni said...

Who cares about manners when you've got a sauce that's finger licking good? I'm growing basil now, but don't have enough for this sauce. Guess I'll have to buy some!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Anya .. haha i can alsmost see you ooh la laing at the table after every bite :D
the sauce looks fairly easy to make. i have tons of basil growing in my garden , and theres always a box of yogurt in my fridge. so i'm definitely making it. Would be gr8 on salads and in wraps.